Qualifications for partnership include:
- Demonstrated need for better housing.
- The ability to repay the Habitat mortgage or home repair repayment.
- The willingness to partner with Habitat.
- Future homeowners must complete 200 volunteer hours by attending homeownership and financial literacy classes, building Habitat homes, and participating in Habitat events and functions.
- All future homeowners and home repair homeowners must also meet Habitat’s Income Guidelines (see below). Habitat’s homeowners earn between 30 and 60 percent of the median income for their county of residence, adjusted for household size.
Future Homeowner partners are selected by Habitat staff and our Family Selection Committee based on the above criteria. The Board of Directors reviews the committee’s recommendations for partnership and ultimately selects future homeowners to match Habitat’s annual home construction schedule. This is a confidential process and is implemented according to policies and procedures set by Habitat for Humanity International and Kalamazoo Valley Habitat for Humanity, and conforms to fair housing laws and regulations.
Future homeowners typically complete the program from application to purchase of a home, within 18–24 months. Home repairs are completed more rapidly. All timelines are subject to change based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to the COVID-19 pandemic.